Since 1980, the Oxford Department has produced a unique series of three general textbooks of psychiatry, each of which has been kept regularly up-to-date:
- Psychiatry, currently in its 5th edition and designed for students
- Shorter Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry currently in its 7th edition and designed for trainees
- The New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry now in its 3rd edition and designed for advanced students and qualified clinicians
Even in our digital age, textbooks continue to play an important role in teaching, training and continuing medical education because they provide a coherent overview of a clinical field. - Authors of the New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry.
Other recent publications from the Department of Psychiatry include:
- Oxford Textbook of Inpatient Psychiatry (published June 2019)
- Cognitive Dimensions of Major Depressive Disorder (published August 2019)
We are seeing an acceleration of the movement from print to digital sales and usage across scientific, technical and medical publishing, and particularly from hospital and university medical libraries. - Peter Stevenson, Senior Commissioning Editor, Medicine, OUP.
These textbooks are available in multiple formats: print / e-book / online. Online versions will include regular (annual) updates going forward.
For more information about experts at the Department of Psychiatry.